Medical Marijuana: A Quick Guide for 2010
What is it?
- Cannabis Sativa L or Cannabis Indica L – a plant that is a member of the Cannabaceae family (often referred to as hemp)
- The plant has been being cultivated for thousands of years; found from China to Egypt and documented throughout hundreds of cultures
- Its medical uses come from the chemical “9-tetrahydro-cannabinol”
What are its medical uses? As defined by NORML and APHA(American Public Health Assoc)
- Pain Relief – especially efficient in terms of pain affecting the nervous system
- Anti-inflammatory – strong muscular relief qualities
- Sedative – calms nervous/muscular system to better allow for healing
- Anti-convulsive – stems from the pain relieving qualities and relaxes the muscular/nervous system
- Appetite Stimulant – proven to aid chemotherapy patients and many others to better eating habits and improved nutrition
- Neuroprotective** – new research is showing that marijuana has some ability to protect the body against malignant tumors
Diseases/Disorders and Ailments treated by Medical Marijuana
- Chronic Pain
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Radiation Therapy
What states have medical marijuana legalized?
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- Rhode Island
What does a medical marijuana prescription offer you?
- The legal right to use marijuana as a prescription medication for your ailments
- In certain states the right to cultivate your own cannabis
- The right to carry a limited amount of medication on your person at any time(varies by state)
How do I sustainably grow my own medication for prescription use?
- Be legal, get a license!
- Visit dispensaries in your area to obtain young plants or seeds which you may use to start your medical garden
- Start your garden indoors or outside; many options are available for growing fruiting plants under artificial lights or our beautiful sun
- Check out reputable online websites such as Medical Marijuana Grow Bank
- Visit your local bookstore to further research the tools and techniques you will use
- Start it as a hobby that will help make your life better in both health and your pocketbook
Medical Marijuana is a great asset to many patients around the country. If you feel like this could be an alternative solution to your medical problems then please contact your doctor and look into your options.